Objective: To supply appropriate quantity, quality, and timeliness of rations to feedlot cattle, taking care of feedlot equipment including trucks, pay loaders, and feed mill. Assisting commodity trucks in unloading, and utilizing the batching computer system for correct rations to pens and quantities.
- Load and mix each ration for each pen in feedlot by understanding the computer batching system, how to read and use this system and scale on trucks to ensure each ingredient is added to truck in correct quantity per ration per pen. This includes the micro-ingredient machine.
- Must be familiar with livestock
- Must be familiar with running a feed truck and delivering feed with even distribution in feed bunks.
- Mechanical skills needed include taking care of maintenance of feed trucks such as oil changes, and routine maintenance.
- Learning to read bunks a plus
- Having a CDL helpful for moving cattle from pasture to feedlot or back to grass.
- Experience with welding helpful
- Other duties as assigned may include:
- Spraying weeds
- Cleaning/scraping pens
- Utilizing a 4-wheeler to check or oversee a project
- Taking commodity inventory
- Working on upkeep of feed mill
- Assist with fly control
- Assist with keeping the mill area clean
Physical requirements and skills needed:
Ability to lift 50 lbs.
High school diploma or higher
Valid driver’s license
Previous experience as feed truck driver preferred
Stable person with good work ethic
Ability to use computer to figure rations
Ability to take work direction and change priorities as needed
Knowledge and/or experience of animal nutrition helpful
Must pass a drug test
Wages based on experience and eagerness to learn